In recent years, there has been a shortage of technology professionals, leading organizations to seek alternative ways of getting the job done. IMF’s report highlights a significant challenge for the tech industry, projecting over 85 million skilled workers shortage by 2030. This could result in an annual loss of revenue exceeding $8 trillion.
One of the ways for organizations to still get the job done is through “Remote Work” – hiring tech talents where talents are available. Earlier skills moved to a place of work. Then work moved to where most talents were. Now get the job done wherever talents are available in multiple remote locations. Therefore, this trend is expected to continue. Technology talents with tech skills and experience in working remotely during COVID could fit the best.
Question is, how to manage remote tech talents effectively?
Based on my own experience, here are some of the tips which can help manage remote workers effectively:
- Set clear expectations: It’s essential to establish clear goals and expectations for remote workers, including deadlines, deliverables, and communication channels.
- Communicate regularly: Communication is critical when managing remote workers. Use video calls, instant messaging, and other tools to stay in touch and provide regular and genuine feedback.
- Use project management tools: Project management tools can help you keep track of tasks, deadlines, and progress and ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Provide necessary tools and resources: Remote workers need the tools and resources to do their jobs effectively, such as access to software, hardware, the internet and secure networks.
- Trust your team: Trust is an essential element of managing remote workers. Give your team members autonomy and empower them to make decisions independently.
- Encourage work-life balance: It’s essential to encourage remote workers to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Encourage regular breaks and meaningful living.
- Keep them engaged: Make an effort to engage with them. It could be through regular check-ins, informal chats, offering help for the challenges faced, surprises by sending them a small gift along with a note of appreciation or dinner voucher for the family etc.
- Establish a structured training programme: It shall include recurring sessions on communication mindset and productivity tools. A virtual training environment helps you source multiple locations for delivering training sessions.
Virtual training is a potent tool for organization to train their employees even if they are in multiple locations with different time zones. The online virtual training environment can offer flexibility for employees and employers. In addition, virtual training also provides affordable and efficient ways to learn new ways to do things.
Following these tips can effectively manage your remote team and ensure they are productive, engaged, and happy.
If you can adequately manage your remote workforce, you can get your work done, increase productivity and the quality of work that the team delivers.